Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:53:17 +0800

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 3:59 AM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Glenn,

> Does the (long-standing) name of the file really make a difference to
> anything?

Hmm...  Personally, I think "for release" is just a list of activities
that must be completed before the next release, but "release process" or
"release cycle" is throughout Emacs development.  Since English is not
my native language, my feeling could be wrong.

> If you are going to rename it, you don't have to stick with an
> old-school SHOUTY name, you can use lower-case.

OK.  I can change it if no one disagrees.

>>  For example, how to set the bug meta-data for release-critical bugs,
>>  what meta-data to set,
>
> In the past we increased the severity of such bugs.
> Personally I felt this was a bad idea,
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-02/msg00196.html
>
> so I unilaterally started using "block" for this.
> That thread explains how it works.
>
> No one else has shown any interest in tracking such things AFAIK.

Perhaps many developers aren't aware of it.  (I'm an example.)

>> 5. Add information about uploading the Windows binary to
>>    https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/, in `admin/make-tarball.txt'.
>
> In exactly the same way anything else is uploaded to ftp.gnu.org?

Well, I mean _build and upload_ the binary.  Maybe Someoneā„¢ familiar
with Windows should write a script to build a Windows binary for release
automatically.