Re: project.el semantics

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: project.el semantics
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:26:35 -0800

John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Or alternatively, we keep the new commands, as well as elisp and etags
>> implementations, but document them briefly, and declare the extension
>> interface (currently, xref-find-function), to be
>> private/experimental/work-in-progress.
>
> Also perfectly fine, whichever you think is best for xref.el. I'm OK with
> "trial features" appearing in a release, so long as we note that they may
> change without notice and shouldn't be too much relied upon.

Speaking as a user[1], I hope you'll take this route rather than
removing project.el and xref.el. Emacs 25.1 would be less useful to me
without them. I also hope Dmitry will continue to work on them, despite
the frustrating dynamics.

[1] Admittedly a somewhat unusual user in that I'm reading emacs-devel.

--
john