Re: ELPA policy

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 22:17:54 +0300

On 12/11/2015 09:11 -0800, John Wiegley wrote:

>> A "tarball" ELPA package is a one thing (that's what I call "bundle into
>> tarball", if I understood right), but "core" ELPA package is another
>
> I must have missed this distinction. What is the difference between "tarball
> ELPA" and "core ELPA"?  I was thinking of "core" as anything that is in
> Emacs.git.

If I got it right, a "tarball" package is copied from elpa.git into the
tarball at release time.  This is to bundle package so that Internet is
not required to install it (whether or not it is installed by default).

"core" package is developed in emacs.git (because core code depends on
it and we have to have full environment in the repo), but then can be
updated from elpa if new version is available.  This is to allow
frequent updates of such packages.

If I didn't get it right, then probably other package maintainers would
feel a bit lost, too, unless we provide concise explanation of this
separation.

Filipp