Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: joakim
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 00:32:09 +0100

>   > John and Richard, the only issue I can see there is that the GNU Project
>   > may wish to maintain their own Docker image repository. Because there
>   > are already some official images from GNU packages on the Docker Hub
>   > such as https://hub.docker.com/_/gcc/ though, I assume this is OK.
>
> Anyone is free, and welcome, to use our packages this way.  The one
> concern I have about it is that using Docker (the server) for this is SaaSS.
>
> If we want to do testing using Docker (the software), we should write
> something
> that quickly and easily configures Docker (the software) on any machine,
> rather than recommending people use Docker (the server).

I think you mean the docker registry, which is the server that provides
images for the docker client. It is free software, Apache V2.

It is pretty easy to set up the entire Docker stack on a free system,
and all of it is free software as far as I can determine anyway.

That said, there might be reasons why GNU would like to host it's own
docker registry.

--
Joakim Verona