Re: Window splitting issues with margins

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window splitting issues with margins
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:01:48 +0100

> If we are talking about the needs of window-resize, then let's think
> in terms of that function's needs.  How about if a window or a buffer
> could specify the minimum width of its text body, and window-resize
> could then use that information when it decides how to split?

‘window-resize’ doesn't split.  If you mean ‘split-window-sensibly’ then
it already compares ‘split-width-threshold’ with the width of the text
area of the window that shall be split.  But all this is very
hypothetical since ‘display-buffer’ will usually display another buffer
in the new window with different local variables and needs.  Neither
‘split-window-sensibly’ nor ‘window-splittable-p’ are up to this task.

martin