Re: Git and submitting patches to fix bugs

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Git and submitting patches to fix bugs
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 07:44:31 -0800

> Ideally, VC should have support for this, of course, in which case the Emacs
> email setup will be used automatically.

Even better, there's no reason we can't write something to automate all of
this for future contributors. I.e.:

 1. in your clone of Emacs, fix some stuff
 2. commit
 3. hit a key to submit your fix
 4. get prompted with an issue number
 5. done (assuming sendmail-send-it actually sends)

I'll see what I can get done, unless someone else wants a hand at it.

In general, it might be a good idea for us to have an Emacs module written
just for Emacs development contributors, with commands to streamline our
process.

Another command: You're in a Git repository for a project that's on ELPA; one
key should be all you need to update your local clone of ELPA, and find
yourself in a commit buffer to describe the update.

John