Re: Fixing compilation and byte-compilation warnings before 25.1

From: daniel sutton
Subject: Re: Fixing compilation and byte-compilation warnings before 25.1
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 23:54:21 -0600

Hello everyone. I'm a bit new to mucking about in the internals of emacs but wanted to help out with cleaning up some compiler and byte compiler warnings.

I'm building and noticing the error
minibuffer.el:1697:12 display-completion-list called with 2 arguments but accepts only 1.

I'm a little confused as the this function has this signature:
(defun display-completion-list (completions &optional common-substring) ...)
In fact, this is a recursive call inside of the function display-completion-list.

Can someone help me understand why we are getting a compiler warning about seemingly valid usage of optional arguments?

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> I also occasionally run valgrind on Emacs executables (actually, temacs),
> and try to fix the warnings it generates. This is considerably harder to do,
> but is a real nice thing to have on our checklist. (Right now, for example,
> there are a couple of memory-allocation bugs that I really would rather be
> fixing than writing administrative text like this. :-)

I'm also working at getting the Coverity scan of Emacs running again.

Warnings-free may not be practically achievement except in terms of some
"reference machine" (i.e., version of Linux + version of GCC), but having some
form of such a goal is better than not.

John