Re: Git question. Is there a way of duplicating a git repository?

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: Git question. Is there a way of duplicating a git repository?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 17:27:44 +0000

 > Now that we've cut the emacs-25 release branch, I'd like to have a
 > distinct repository for this.

 > I could simply download another copy from savannah, but this would
 > (presumably) be a distinct copy, rather than hard linking the
 > repository files.  This would cost me disk (and backup) space.

 > Or I could clone my master repository to make emacs-25.  But this
 > would make the new repo firmly subordinate to the master repo, rather
 > than directly with savannah.

 > So, is there any convenient way of duplicating a repo (using hard
 > links, and preserving config info)?

        I didn’t test it, but given that said subordination is just a
        matter of a few lines in the respective .git/config, something
        along the lines below is ought to work.

$ git clone -- emacs-1 emacs-2
$ cp --backup=t -- emacs-1/.git/config emacs-2/.git/config
$

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://am-1.org/~ivan/      … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A