Re: PATCH: make linum.el play nicely with other margin-setting extension

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: PATCH: make linum.el play nicely with other margin-setting extensions
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:24:17 +0600

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 8:19 PM, João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:
> -  ;; FIXME: The interaction between different uses of the margin is
> -  ;; problematic.  We should have a way for different packages to indicate
> (and
> -  ;; change) their preference independently.
>
> Meaning that we do need to find a way to p *both* nlinum.el and
> darkroom.el to use some kind of ownership-awareness scheme.

Did anyone consider that the proper metaphor may not be ownership but
suballocation? E.g. modes declare how much they want from which side
and with what priority, and the window takes the sums of that. The
margins are then painted from inside outwards, in the order of
decreasing priority. (In this model, “greedy” modes such as darkroom
should have lowest priority so they only get whatever is left over.)