Re: Making --with-wide-int the default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making --with-wide-int the default
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 18:19:13 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:00:34 +0100
>
> It's nice that --with-wide-int is available for special needs.  But on
> 32-bit systems, it comes at a cost that is not consistent with choosing
> a 32-bit system in the first place.

FWIW, in my testing, the cost is mostly insignificant in any real-life
session.  I found Paul's estimates of 30% slowdown to be rather
conservative, I can only get around 30% - 35% in a tight loop that
increments a single integer variable and does nothing else.  In any
real-time scenario I tried, I see between 4% and 13% slowdown.  And
memory footprint of a large session (more than 500 buffers) is less
than 5% larger with wide ints.