Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 18:42:30 -0600

Artur, it sounds to me like there is not yet consensus on what C-o should do at
column >0.  There have been plausible arguments both ways.

But since there wasn't really consensus on the original change either, and
since there *is* consensus on what C-o should do in column 0 (namely, just
insert a newline and do no indentation), maybe the best course for now is to
revert the change, so we go back to the old behavior, and then continue this
discussion so we can determine the right behavior for the next release of Emacs
after this one?

By "old behavior", I mean "just inserts a newline".  This is correct for column
0, and is at least desired by some people in other positions; and it's the
behavior we had for a long time, of course, so it's okay if it stays the same
in this release too.  After all, the old behavior was not really considered an
outright bug by most people, as far as I'm aware.

Thoughts?

This is assuming there's still time to make the reversion on the release branch
(it would then get merged to master soon).  I'm not sure whether there is, and
hope someone here who is tracking that more carefully can say for sure.  I'm
happy to do the reversion, if you're pressed for time.

Best regards,
-Karl