Re: make change-history on non-master branches

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: make change-history on non-master branches
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:10:11 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> And the resulting ChangeLog.2 entries (and more importantly, any
>> corrections) will have to be merged to master, just like in the old days?
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but why do we have to merge it?  Won't
> "make change-history" create on each branch the file that branch
> wants?
>
> If we can avoid merging, we could teach gitmerge.el skip that file.

The issue is the hand-written corrections.

Someone makes a commit to emacs-25.
The commit log message has an error on it (eg wrong author).
ChangeLog.2 is generated (to reiterate, currently it refuses to do so on
non-master branches) and corrected. Now the correction needs to be
propagated to master.

If you make gitmerge.el ignore ChangeLog.2 you'll lose the
corrections, or have to make them twice.

BTW, gitmerge.el should not ignore any other (non-generated) ChangeLog.