Re: make change-history on non-master branches

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: make change-history on non-master branches
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 20:48:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> Thanks.  Maybe we could get some help from gitmerge.el, even if that
> would require some specific pattern in the log messages of commits
> that correct ChangeLog.2.  David, WDYT?

Well, at least the current situation will have to be handled manually
for sure. If you now update ChangeLog.2 on emacs-25, you'll get lots of
entries which are already in the 'master' ChangeLog, but in unfixed
form. Not only that, but many of those commits have entered emacs-25 at
a different time, so the dates don't match up.

For further ChangeLog updates, at least in the current form, I don't see
how to automate this. IMHO, for automatic merges, we would need the
following:

- Generating the ChangeLog on the 'master' branch ignores commits from
  emacs-25 merges.

- Generating the ChangeLog on the 'emacs-25' branch ignores cherry-picks
  from 'master' (can be detected by git or through a magic word in the
  commit message).

- when cherry-picking from 'master', we copy the generated&fixed
  ChangeLog entry and commit it separately. Then gitmerge.el could skip
  that during the merge into master, just like it skips the backported
  commit itself.

-David