Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:46:55 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 09:23:10 +0100
>> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>>  > into the GDB command to run Emacs, right after
>>  > the "run" part.  Then wait until it segfaults.
>>
>> When I do that it doesn't segfault but simply produces the "End of file
>> during parsing" message you reported earlier.
>
> Darn!  Another memory-related Heisenbug!
>
> I guess the only way to debug this is see what happens inside prin1.
> AFAIR, it uses a temporary buffer to produce the string, so this might
> be due to GC or something.

For the record: if it weren't on Windows, you could say something like

ulimit -c unlimited  # Possibly a bad idea on 64bit systems

and then run the program again from the command line.  This should make
it behave identically until crashing, producing a "core" file when doing
so.

You can then run

gdb src/emacs core   # or whatever your corresponding binary was

and then do a post-mortem debug, particularly looking at the backtrace.

--
David Kastrup