Re: Future release schedules (was: make change-history on non-master bra

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Future release schedules (was: make change-history on non-master branches)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 21:05:55 +0200

Actually, if you really mean zero changes on the emacs-25 branch that
are not bugfixes, that's indeed not what we have been doing in the
past, and I expect it to be a hard sell to the community.  With the
time between major release around 4 to 5 years on the average, I don't
think we can let users wait so long for small improvements.  The
emacs-24 branch allowed changes that were deemed "safe" (the exact
meaning of that needs a judgment call, of course).

IOW, I think we can only switch to this model if we drastically reduce
the time interval between major releases, to something like a year or
less, or if we start maintaining 3 branches, not 2.  Both alternatives
require radical changes in the process and the procedures, to say
nothing about the manpower.