Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 23:10:37 +0200

> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:38:37 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I guess the only way to debug this is see what happens inside prin1.
> AFAIR, it uses a temporary buffer to produce the string, so this might
> be due to GC or something.

I don't know why prin1 crashed, but I do know why Emacs complains
about end of file: there are null bytes in the middle of loaddefs.el.
Do you have those too?

Emacs creates loaddefs.el by visiting the previous one and scanning it
for certain patterns.  Those stray null bytes interrupt a pattern, so
the result is that Emacs tries to parse an incomplete sexp, and barfs.

if you also see these null bytes, delete them so that the expected
format of the file is preserved, then re-run "make autoloads" -- it
should succeed.

I don't know how these nulls ended up in loaddefs, the only hint is
that they appear in the same place which Emacs scans when it produces
this warning:

  Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound