Re: Adding BBDB 3 core to Emacs

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Adding BBDB 3 core to Emacs
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 14:37:17 -0500

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> I really like this idea. Then we could count on BBDB 3 (core) being in Emacs
>> core. We could fix EUDC to always enable the BBDB backend by default,
>> include an Info node in the manual for BBDB itself and fix the EUDC Info
>> nodes to be BBDB 3-specific.
>
> I would much prefer this to be in "tarball ELPA", so that it is included in
> the distribution, but not a focus for the other developers. Would there be any
> need to include it within core itself?

The main reason is that there are lots of references and dependencies in
core on BBDB already, e.g. Gnus, Org, EUDC.  I'd like to satisfy those
dependencies with something stable, available and easily testable.  That
implies putting BBDB in core.

If Gnus, Org, EUDC move to "tarball ELPA" eventually, then BBDB could
move too.  At that point, hopefully the BBDB APIs used would have had
time to stabilize because of their maintenance in Emacs core.

Or, the other argument is that BBDB could become part of the core
"platform" that provides contact management features to other Emacs
packages.  That would probably imply that long-term BBDB should stay in
core.

But in either case, short term (in Emacs feature roadmap timescales :-))
I think it would make sense to put "BBDB core" in Emacs core.

Thomas