Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 19:17:03 +0000

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> schrieb am So., 22. Nov. 2015 um 19:38 Uhr:
I'm not going to belabor the point. If you want to use sizes as version numbers
it's not worth fighting over. If we ever change a function API without changing
the structure layout, I guess we'll have to insert a dummy structure member to
make the size grow. Sounds like a kludge, but there are worse kludges in Emacs.

Adding back Daniel. Not sure whether he follows this discussion, but he should definitely participate.

Getting back to the original issue, your worry was that a ptrdiff_t size would
lead to unnecessary warnings.  I didn't get any such warning when compiling this
with gcc -Wall:

#include <stddef.h>
ptrdiff_t size;

int main (void) { return size < sizeof size; }

I expect the warnings you're worried about occur when comparing an unknown
ptrdiff_t with an unknown size_t; they should not occur when comparing an
unknown ptrdiff_t with a size_t constant.

I get a warning with both Clang and GCC when compiling with -Wextra.

  If that's the case, let's leave it
ptrdiff_t.  And even if it's not the case, I'm inclined to leave it ptrdiff_t,
as any module code will run into similar issues with the other ptrdiff_t
components, so why make an exception for this one?

What other ptrdiff_t components are there? The only other occurrences I see are the argument counts (which are never compared to sizes), and the string lengths (where callers might run into trouble if a buffer is larger than PTRDIFF_MAX, but that seems unlikely).