Re: Difficulties with elpa repository.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Difficulties with elpa repository.
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:07:03 -0500

> This has been difficult.  I followed the instructions to build elpa in
> its README.

Which ones?  There re several, depending on what you want to do.
In your case, the best option is to "install in place", I think (you
don't want to create tarballs for distribution, since those aren't
compiled anyway).  So

   git clone .../elpa
   cd elpa
   make externals
   make

Should do what you want.  I rebuild in this way on a regular basis, so
I'm pretty sure that it works to some extent, but there might be issues
with the initial setup, or temporary problems.  "make -k" lets you go
past some temporary problems in specific packages.

> Looking into packages/ace-window, I find a simple Makefile, so simple in

Those Makefiles aren't used by the above recipe (which only uses
.../elpa/GNUmakefile).

        Stefan