Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:19:37 -0500

I'll just mention that having to learn a whole new way to run Elisp
functions when writing module code instead of core code just
sucks rocks!

It presumes Emacs modules are mainly written by non-Emacs developers.
And it makes it harder for module writers to graduate to
Emacs contributors.
Not to mention that it makes the interface between Emacs modules and
Emacs core less efficient.

> The alternative is also error-prone though.  It's very easy to forget
> that some cleanup is needed;

The alternative is what we use inside Emacs core.  Maybe it's not
perfect but it worked fine for the last 30 years, with interfaces to
fairly varied libraries, like libX11, libxml2, libgnutls, ...
I think it has a pretty good track record.

        Stefan