Re: [elpa] master 872014e: Prevent accidental deletion of .git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 872014e: Prevent accidental deletion of .git
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:42:30 -0500

> BTW, I found myself being more focused on the "in place archive" use
> case.

I have no idea what "in-place archive" means here.  AFAIK none of the
code lets you generate an archive without making copies of the files
(i.e. it's not "in-place").

> That's how I ended up invoking the process-archive target
> directly which indirectly deleted .git (this is the one my patch now
> prevents).
[...]
> Then one can test dependency resolution, byte-compilation and
> compatibility on the "target Emacs" -- I test Emacs 24.1 through 24.5
> and master.  Testing just against the default emacs on PATH (what "make"
> does right now) is OK for development, but GNU ELPA should encourage
> backward and forward compatibility.

AFAIK "process-archive" won't byte-compile anything, so it's not very
useful for that.  It just shuffles things around so they're in the place
and form expected for package-install.

The purpose of the "in-place installation" method is so that those
packages behave kind of like Emacs's bundled packages (except that you
need to add the "packages" dir to your package-directory-list, so they
won't appear in "emacs -Q" and after "cd .../emacs; make" you also have
to do "cd .../elpa; make").  Just like Emacs's bundled packages, you
don't need to "package-install" them, or even to choose which ones
you want.

        Stefan