Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 22:33:39 +0000

Philipp Stephani <address@hidden> schrieb am Do., 26. Nov. 2015 um 23:29 Uhr:
Paul Eggert <address@hidden> schrieb am Do., 26. Nov. 2015 um 22:21 Uhr:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> It's not obvious to me, sorry.  The costs of the current code are
> minimal, and the advantages to have the "raw" functionality in
> addition to what we have aren't clear-cut.

My admittedly vague impression is that Stefan's approach would be friendlier to
module authors who want to write code that feels like Emacs's current C code.
This should be a plus, no?

I don't fully understand why the current emacs-module.c is as complicated as it
is, to be honest.  I know it has something to do with C++ exception handling,
but the details still escape me.  But really, we should support C modules well
too, as C is still the lingua franca for low-level software integration.  And
"well" does not mean "every time you call a function you then have to call some
other function to see whether the first function worked".

Please see Daniel's original design and the follow-up discussions: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-02/msg00960.html

Also this subthread with even more discussion: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-09/msg00540.html