Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:12:14 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 20:06:39 -0500
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,
>       Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> > Please see Daniel's original design and the follow-up discussions:
>
> The general design is good, but forcing this signal-handling is just
> brain-dead from where I stand.  I stated this many times.  And I'm
> shocked that we'd follow Daniel's design on this detail just because he
> advocates it.

I think this is extreme and uncalled-for.  You may disagree with the
design, but it's here and it works.  It brings some additional
benefits, albeit not free of cost.  After looking at the code for
quite some time, my conclusion is that the price is not insignificant,
but not painful enough to be an issue.  It certainly doesn't deserve
to be called "brain-dead".  Definitely not when the work has already
been done and endured the initial shock of being integrated with
Emacs.

So if you still disagree, let's please leave it at that, and move on.