Re: Questions about isearch

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: Questions about isearch
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:36:08 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Mike Kupfer <address@hidden>
> > cc: address@hidden
> > Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:50:18 -0800
> >
> > Assuming that there won't be any major changes for 25.1 in this area, I
> > think it would be helpful for the "Lax Search" Info node to say
> > something about replace-character-fold, particularly since that node
> > mentions the relationship between case-fold-search and replace commands.
> > And maybe replace-character-fold should be listed in the "Search
> > Customizations" node?
>
> There's a companion node "Replacement and Lax Matches", which
> describes this variable.

Okay, so can a cross-reference to "Replacement and Lax Matches" be added
to the "Lax Search" node?  I mean, I did what you suggested in an
earlier reply to someone else: I went straight to the "Lax Search" node.
I didn't see anything in there to give me a clue about
replace-character-fold.  I did see the cross-reference to "Replace", but
that was in the context of case-fold-search, which, unlike character
folding, does apply to replace commands.  With the current "Lax Search"
text, there's just not enough of a hint to the reader that additional
important information is available.

Also, will the help strings for the search and the replace functions be
updated to mention the relevant character folding variables?  They
already mention case-fold-search.  (And I'd be less concerned about the
"Lax Search" text if the help string gave me the right clue.)

thanks,
mike