Re: More over-engineering

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: More over-engineering
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 11:22:01 -0500

>> > I assumed that question was rhetorical.
>> No, I'm really curious why all functions need to do that.
> Because they want to catch all non-local exits.  Those macros are the
> implementation of what was discussed in the other thread all over.

So it is not protecting something inside those functions, but rather
just trying to hide the non-local exits from the caller?

I can understand having a safe_funcall since that can be very useful
when you don't know what the funcall will do (e.g. a hook), but for
"primitives" where the set of possible non-local exits are well known,
catching all non-local exits unconditionally seems hard to justify.

It really seems like it would be saner to export the error catching
functionality as a separate function and then let every module use it
when it needs it.

        Stefan