Re: Debugging Emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Debugging Emacs
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 19:39:38 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> Yes, that was sort of the idea. Personally, I'd not be too worried about
>> repeating things. I realise that this adds to the maintainance burden,
>> but references to later sections make for harder reading.
>
> It is OK to say something simple in the preamble, and refer to later
> sections for more in-depth detail.
>
> But I will now stop writing comments to a text I didn't yet see, and
> let you work on it instead ;-)

It was at the bottom of the original email!

While I am mailing, I had one idea which might simplify debugging.
Currently, you need to break-point some function to get control to GDB
before you launch Emacs. Why not add a null function to Emacs core for
the purpose? Guaranteed never to be called from anywhere, does nothing,
and with a breakpoint could be added to .gdbinit. Then, after running
Emacs, "M-x break" would automatically pass control back to GDB without
any further set up.

Just a thought.

Phil