Re: First draft of the Emacs website

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: First draft of the Emacs website
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 17:17:34 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On 11/29/2015 01:29 AM, Nicolas Petton wrote:

I think I'm ready to show my work on the website of Emacs:

http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

Thank you for your efforts.

I think the current look is already better that the homepage we have now, but nevertheless, I think it exemplifies one of my pet peeves in UI design: using different contrast levels in different parts of a web page (or an application).

Every part, by itself, looks very nice (*): I like the colors chosen for every section, and the dashed look of the download buttons makes a good impression if I just narrow my attention to that part of the web page.

But if we look at the first page, the "GNU Emacs" logo, and the screenshot, are much brighter than the rest of the section. Which makes the download buttons fade into background. That might complicate life for vision-impaired visitors, for instance.

The rest of the sections are clear, but as I scroll down the page, my eyes have to adjust to a different level of contrast as I look at each new section.

I usually shy away from dark themes (and dark designs in general), because most websites and applications use light-background themes, but I think a design should at least be consistent internally, and pick just one side.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Dmitry.

(*) Regarding the "Releases" color set, I think it's good, and I'd rather you did something to the second section: it jumps out as very high-contrast, for some reason.