Re: More over-engineering

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: More over-engineering
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:40:02 -0500

> I agree.  Although I'm a fan of --with-wide-int, I don't think it should
> force this extra complication in modules.

I managed to make it work for --with-wide-int without having to
re-compile the modules (those rare 64bit values which can't be crammed
into 32bit go through an extra proxy object).  That imposes an extra
cost in the module-API for the wide-int case, but this cost should still
be smaller than what we had before (since in 99.9% of the cases, the
conversion 64<=>32 is just a matter of shuffling bits).

        Stefan