Re: Emacs for Mac OS X bundle

From: David Caldwell
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac OS X bundle
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:40:27 -0800

On 11/30/15 4:15 PM, Xue Fuqiao wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:02 AM, David Caldwell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Also, from my reading of it a couple years ago, the Mac App Store
>> licensing appears compatible with the GPL, unlike the iOS App Store. But
>> of course IANAL, etc.
>
> Wikipedia[1] says that free software licensed only under the GPL is
> disallowed in Mac App Store.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_App_Store#Regulations

One of the sited articles looks to be discussing "the iTunes App Store"
which (AFAIK) is what we now call the iOS App Store (which has
completely different licensing than the Mac App Store).

The other article is from 2011. I believe I read the license in detail
in the 2013-ish time frame, so it may have changed since the Adium folks
looked into it. I wouldn't trust me but I wouldn't immediately pooh-pooh
the idea either. Let's at least have someone knowledgeable look into the
current licensing before we decide it's a no-go.

It's too bad they don't have a source code repo for the license
somewhere so we can look at the diffs.

-David