Re: character folding future [was: Questions about isearch]

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: character folding future [was: Questions about isearch]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 11:34:09 +0000

> 1. An option, `char-fold-ad-hoc', for the ad hoc char foldings.
>    Default value: the same ad hoc foldings as vanilla Emacs
>    (quotation marks).

Thanks for the code again. A list of ad-hoc foldings for the user to
customize (your `char-fold-ad-hoc') is something I want too (ideally,
as soon as 25.1). The reason I didn't include it initially is that the
character-fold-table can take many seconds to generate, so it's pretty
important that it be generated at compile time.

I suppose one solution is to make it a defcustom with a :set property
that updates the char-fold-table, and clearly state in the docstring
that editing this variable can add several seconds to emacs startup
time.