Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3e9ac80: Yet another doc improvement for sear

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3e9ac80: Yet another doc improvement for search commands
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 17:37:35 +0200

> Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 10:36:59 +0000
> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> >> Really? I could have sworn they can.
> > I tried.  Maybe I made a mistake.  Can you show an example where it
> > does?
>
> I wasn't sure earlier, but yes, they do.
>
> Just type "a    b" in a buffer and do `word-search-forward' for "a b".

That's not because of lax-space matching, IIUC.  That's because word
search ignores any non-word characters between words.

What I meant is this:

  C-s M-s w a b M-s SPC

After you type the "M-s SPC" toggle, Emacs says "[match spaces
literally]", but "a   b" etc. are still highlighted as matches.

Maybe we should add a note that, although lax-whitespace matching is
not supported with word search, it is also not needed, because spaces
between words are ignored anyway?