Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 17:55:15 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 09:40:55 -0500
>
> The way to decide about changing the defaults is to poll the users.

Such a poll could only work if the behavior intended to become the
default is already available in released versions of Emacs, so users
could turn it on and try it.  This is not the case with character
folding, which is only available in development snapshots, and
actually is still in flux: it changes in non-trivial ways almost every
day.

If we are afraid users will hate this default, we can turn it off in
v25.1 and consider making it the default later.  Alternatively, we
could quickly release Emacs 25.2 with character folding turned off if
we see an outcry.  But polling at this time will not be efficient,
IMO.

> People have recently made various changes in defaults without doing that.
> For instance, making C-j in an isearch match spaces.  This change should
> be reverted without delay.

This was fixed quite some time ago.