Re: GIT mirror of Lisp dev sources [was: Char-folding: how can we implem

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: GIT mirror of Lisp dev sources [was: Char-folding: how can we implement matching...]
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 12:29:36 -0600

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:
>(Why doesn't master hold the latest developments, just as
>(IIUC) it has always done in the past?)

During release stabilization, at least in recent releases that I can remember,
the maintainers have asked that changes go to the release branch first and then
get (automagically or semi-automagically) ported to 'master' later.  So that's
what we've been doing for a while.  I think it's partly just to ensure that
what's about to be released gets live-tested as much as possible by the
developers.

I don't know when this release branch policy was first instituted, and am not
suggesting that it's better or worse than a master-first policy.  But it's what
we've been doing.  IIRC John W. speculated that we might do differently for the
next release, but said he didn't want to change it for this release.  I don't
remember which email I saw that in, though.

Best regards,
-Karl