Re: xref overrides user xref-backend-functions

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref overrides user xref-backend-functions
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 14:13:10 +0200

Hi Anders,

On 12/02/2015 08:08 AM, Anders Lindgren wrote:

Have you considered using the "###autoload" construct? This way, the
default value is available to all users when Emacs start and they don't
have to remember to require xref before changing the variable. At the
same time, if a user sets the variable, xref will not modify it when loaded.

That should fit the bill too, indeed.

I've just read the advice against autoloading variables too many times to consider it. But searching through the codebase now, we do have quite a few such variables.