Re: First draft of the Emacs website

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: First draft of the Emacs website
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 16:42:05 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The browser is in control of the client's computing resources,
> compositing managing, window rendition, realtime.  If it (or the user
> settings controlling it) or the page description language does not
> consider animating changes a good idea, the web page author is not
> really in a position to know better.

> The user has nothing to gain from every web page inventing its own
> human-computer interface.

Oh my gosh, the entire www has been wrong all this time!

On a more serious note, animations have been well defined in the CSS
standard for years[1], as well as through very common JS libraries[2],
SVG animations[3], the HTML Canvas, etc.

All of these are part of the web stack of every graphical web browser
out there, I didn't invent anything here.

> The whole point of HTML is to package content in a way where the
> rendition is matched to the platform's capabilities.

Come on, you very well know that HTML is about the content. Formatting,
appearance, animations and such should be handled in CSS, JS, etc.

Cheers,
Nico

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-transitions/
[2] http://api.jquery.com/animate/