Re: Is `kbd' idempotent?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Is `kbd' idempotent?
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 19:33:21 +0100

Random832 <address@hidden> writes:

> I do wonder what the use case is, though, that benefits from allowing
> the entry of an arbitrary lisp expression instead of just directly
> passing the user input to kbd without even a read/eval stage. Are there
> key sequences that can't be represented in kbd format that the user will
> want to enter as vector literals?

Finally, I think that was a good question.  It's easy enough to use C-u
M-: to insert the evaluation result of an arbitrary expression into the
minibuffer, so restricting the input to strings and vectors is fine.

But I don't want to force usage of kbd syntax, so I additionally allowed
the expression to be of the form (kbd STRING), and only in this special
case, there is an evaluation happening.  The user can easily define his
own version of the thing that calls kbd in every case, so everybody
should be happy.

Thanks again,

Michael.