Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 75336a2: Merge branch 'feature/standard-test-lo

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 75336a2: Merge branch 'feature/standard-test-location'
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 17:31:12 +0000

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>>> The .el extension points to emacs-lisp-mode already, doesn't it?
>>
>> Then you are testing two things: auto-mode-alist *and* indentation.
>
> Yes. But that's a Good Thing.
>
> And it will significantly reduce perceived "noise" in the test sources,
> which is also a Good Thing.
>
> The need to set the mode via a local variable documents that you are not
> expecting auto-mode-alist to handle it.

I think that you are partly right about this, although, of course, you
are assuming that indentation tests WILL be in files. As is stands
sisyphus does not make this assumption -- it's possible to drop code
inline into tests also. There are advantages to this for short pieces of
code.

Still, you are correct -- auto-mode-alist should be usable if wanted.

>>> Have you considered just adding a few functions to ert-x? As a first step, I
>>> mean.
>>
>> Not yet, no. I wanted to get something working and useful first. The
>> problem with adding it to ert-x is that it's core, and I think I'd
>> rather have it in ELPA in the short term.
>
> I think "it" here is your new test macros, that make it easier to write
> indentation tests?
>
> They are useful for testing core code, so they should be in core. At
> least until we get "core ELPA" packages working; then this would be a
> candidate for moving to Gnu ELPA.
>
> Putting them in a separate package for now probably makes sense; once
> they are fully polished we can decide if they should be in ert or ert-x.

I'd agree with all this also. I think that my packages will be good for
testing core. I'm not making any decisions till I find out how long it
takes me write. Maybe "core ELPA" will be working by then. Who knows!

Phil