Re: New test files in emacs-25 branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New test files in emacs-25 branch
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 22:13:24 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 17:52:22 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I guess new test files introduced on the emacs-25 branch will have to
> > be manually added to the corresponding directory on master, since
> > gitmerge.el won't be able to pull such trickery, right?
>
> I guess this crossed my mind sometime after I offered to move all the
> file locations. Probably it would have made sense to leave things till
> after the emacs-25.

It wouldn't have mattered.  Emacs 25.1 is not going to be the only
version delivered from the emacs-25 branch.

> If this is going to be a major PITA (and it probably is), one solution
> would be to create a "test/automated" directory on master.

It's not a PITA.  For a rare event such as this one, committing twice
is not a catastrophe.  I just wanted to be sure there are no better
ideas.

> Is git is intelligent enough to work through a file move? Will new tests
> added to existing test files in the automated directory of emacs-25
> merge into the moved files on master?

That should work, but I wasn't talking about this.  I was talking
about adding new files to emacs-25.

> If so, then new files in emacs-25 test/automated can be merged to
> master, and then moved to the new directory structure any time on
> master, and new tests or changes should follow.

That's error prone, so I'd rather we avoided it.