Re: New test files in emacs-25 branch

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: New test files in emacs-25 branch
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 22:41:31 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> I guess this crossed my mind sometime after I offered to move all the
>> file locations. Probably it would have made sense to leave things till
>> after the emacs-25.
>
> It wouldn't have mattered.  Emacs 25.1 is not going to be the only
> version delivered from the emacs-25 branch.

Really? I assumed 25.2 was going to fork from current master.

>> Is git is intelligent enough to work through a file move? Will new tests
>> added to existing test files in the automated directory of emacs-25
>> merge into the moved files on master?
>
> That should work, but I wasn't talking about this.  I was talking
> about adding new files to emacs-25.

Sure, I understand that. I was thinking of the situation where a new
file is added to emacs-25, merged to master and then more tests are
added (i.e. the new files is subsequently updated). As you say, the
addition of a file into two places is not so bad. But it would be nice
if subsequent updates to the file worked.

>> If so, then new files in emacs-25 test/automated can be merged to
>> master, and then moved to the new directory structure any time on
>> master, and new tests or changes should follow.
>
> That's error prone, so I'd rather we avoided it.

I'm at the limit of my git knowledge, I fear.

Phil