Re: First draft of the Emacs website

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: First draft of the Emacs website
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 00:59:13 +0100

Hi John,

I'm not sure if you were answering Nicolas or me; my comments applied to the
redesign, which I feel is a great step in making the website more welcoming.

On 12/04/2015 12:26 AM, John Yates wrote:
> My point was that mentioning things that we - as seasoned users of
> Emacs - like is quite a bit different from imagining the website as a
> sales pitch to someone who has not used Emacs but _might_ - given an
> appropriate message - be coaxed into trying it.  If you accept such
> messaging as the site's first goal then you have to try to put
> yourself in the mindset of such a viewer.

Well, I only started using Emacs seriously a year and a half ago :)

On 12/03/2015 11:17 PM, John Yates wrote:
> * Newbies likely have a long, long road to travel before they will
> ever consider discarding their current GUI / WYSIWYG / web-based
> productivity tools for Emacs' text-only calendar, mail project
> planning packages.

And even seasoned users still use graphical tools sometimes, judging by the
fact that you write to this list from GMail's web interface :)

Clément.