Re: First draft of the Emacs website

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: First draft of the Emacs website
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 07:06:38 +0100

John Yates <address@hidden> writes:

> Drew,
>
> You and I are old "grey beards".  My point was that mentioning things that
> we - as seasoned users of Emacs - like is quite a bit different from
> imagining the website as a sales pitch to someone who has not used Emacs
> but _might_ - given an appropriate message - be coaxed into trying it.  If
> you accept such messaging as the site's first goal then you have to try to
> put yourself in the mindset of such a viewer.
>
> Your comments suggest that perhaps you do not buy into that being the first
> goal.

Why would a newcomer be interested in an old tool that merely does what
the new tools already do?  "Run with the herd like an octogenarian" is
not a sales pitch.  For better or worse, the reason to choose Emacs over
other options is for the things it does differently, not the things it
tries doing the same.

--
David Kastrup