Re: First draft of the Emacs website

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: First draft of the Emacs website
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 14:26:58 -0800

On 12/04/2015 02:44 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
The Emacs developer list is less frequented by women in my impression
than the average gay bar.  In Victorian England.

I'm afraid you'll need a better analogy, as it was reasonably common for women to *run* the gay bars and meeting houses in Victorian England. For example, see Martha Stacey's well-known house in Wakefield Street, Bloomsbury, circa 1870. Going back further in time, perhaps the best-known molly-house in all of pre-Victorian England was the one run by Margarat Clap in Field Lane, Holborn, circa 1725.