Re: Better handling of window margins

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Better handling of window margins
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 17:49:50 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 10:17:42 -0500
>
> >> I'm not sure whether we can handle well all possible cases, indeed.
> >> But if we design an API where the elements are always associated with
> >> lines rather than with precise buffer positions, it should
> >> be manageable.  Maybe this API will be inconvenient for some use cases,
> >> of course.
> > Once again, my proposal handles this for all cases.
>
> AFAIK your proposal is unrelated because it only affects the size of the
> display margin, whereas part of the issue is to control ordering of
> mergin elements on specific lines.

Indeed, control of the ordering was not on the table, AFAIU.

If we want to be able to control the order, we will have to completely
redesign how display in the margins works, because currently this is
completely determined by the order we traverse the buffer text during
redisplay, i.e. the 'margin' display property that is on buffer
position displayed more to the left will be displayed before the one
to its right.