Re: Better handling of window margins

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Better handling of window margins
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 12:36:51 -0500

> I don't think we know what _is_ the right solution for the more
> general problem.  We don't have any experience and AFAIK no packages
> that need such a solution.

It's a bit of a cats&dog situation, tho.  The conflicts with other
packages are a strong deterrent to the use of the margin.

> So I think we should be very cautious with adding non-trivial display
> features, and be sure they have important use cases backing them up
> that we want to support for the observable future.

Which is why I suggested we go with a purely Elisp library layed on
top of the current display features.  That lets us play freely with
various design options.  Contrary to the redisplay code, such a library
will have to do its job at the time the margin-display-properties are
added to the buffer, rather than at the time they're rendered on screen.

        Stefan