Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:41:41 +0200

> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:10:37 -0500
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I suppose there are only two obvious ways to handle that:
>
> 1) radically speed up the redisplay code.
> 2) memoize the output of the redisplay code.

I think there's not much place for optimizations left, at least not by
large factors (you need something like 100-fold speedup to make long
lines bearable).

So 2) is the way to go, IMO.  As usual, the devil is in the details:
the design of a cache (or caches) that will hold the necessary data,
and don't hold too much of it.

> Have I missed an obvious approach or are those the choices?

No, I don't think you have.

Thanks.