RE: Casting as wide a net as possible (was: First draft of the Emacs web

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Casting as wide a net as possible (was: First draft of the Emacs website)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:56:35 -0800 (PST)

> > For those who are interested (eg the 13 year old Drew postulated)
> > there are many easily discovered resources on the web describing
> > Emacs, Lisp, eLisp, etc. We could easily include on our site a
> > curated list of links to the best of such resources. If we feel
> > that there does not yet exist a sufficiently effusive description
> > of (e)Lisp we can write one and link to it.
>
> We don't want anything even close to a description, we want just a
> hint, to lure them to learn more.  There's no need in external links
> for that, we could manage such a short passage ourselves.  At least we
> should try.

Agreed.  And it's not just about luring potentially interested users.
It's about describing Emacs - its most important features.  No need
to glorify anything; it is sufficient to point out how Emacs is
different.

This description of Emacs includes what you can do with it, at the
most general level.  And this most general level of what-you-can-do
includes some Lisp features.  It does not mean just pointing out
that Emacs has lots of "plug-ins" etc.