Re: Casting as wide a net as possible

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Casting as wide a net as possible
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 21:50:52 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Kind of unconventional as an advertisement though it has its
>> charm. But there is a (rather simple) _read_ syntax for data
>> structures. Just no separate program syntax.
>
> This distinction is meaningless to those we're trying to attract. What
> I meant is "what you type".  It's highly consistent in that regard,
> whatever you choose to call it.

Regarding readability to humans, it's a disadvantage and I don't think
we will gain points by trying to sell it as an advantage.  If we want to
sell an advantage, it is the easy structure-preserving manipulation of
Lisp code that Lisp code can do.  That's the cart, and the simple read
syntax is the horse pulling it.

I mean, I don't sell Modern Greek as "highly consistent vowel
pronunciation" because all of ει, υ, υι, η, ῃ, αι, οι, ι (did I forget
any?) are pronounced the same.

At any rate, I don't think I have anything worthwhile to add that I
didn't say already, and I am not the one writing the advertisement
either.

--
David Kastrup