Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 22:01:50 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Visual positioning makes no sense without visual feedback. Can you show a
>> single example of a task to be done by a keyboard macro where visual
>> positioning would _help_ achieve that task rather than sabotage it?
>
> I don't get this argument. What is the real problem here? I've never
> faced on issue on this point with macros before, and I've been using
> them for a long time.

Have you ever had a case where visual positioning during macro
recording/replay was helpful?  Or have you "never faced this issue"
merely because your lines were short enough that the difference was
irrelevant?

> In cases where visual positioning became a problem, I used
> `toggle-truncate-lines'.

Depending on what font highlighting may do, vertical movement based on
visual entities is still different.

> I'd much rather have intervention be manual, than changing the core
> behavior in ways that are hard to understand. It may well be that
> there are times when I want visual positioning without feedback,
> simply because it matches what I'm expecting to happen.

So you don't have an example where having macros recorded/replayed using
visual movements would be useful, but you would not want it different on
principle.

Can we have an option to customize for less principled people?

--
David Kastrup