Re: Overlay modification-hooks no longer running after 564d811725 (under

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overlay modification-hooks no longer running after 564d811725 (under certain configurations)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 09:50:22 +0200

> From: Mitchel Humpherys <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:52:34 -0800
>
> I noticed recently that iedit [1] stopped working on the emacs-25 and
> master branches.  I finally got around to git bisect'ing it today and
> found that the breaking commit is:
>
>     commit 564d811725596f15ecf543777e11504b47d2af86
>     Author: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>     Date:   Fri Nov 6 17:19:39 2015 +0200
>
>         Don't invoke overlay modification hooks in wrong buffer
>
> The relevant iedit code seems to be:
>
>     (overlay-put occurrence 'insert-in-front-hooks
> '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
>     (overlay-put occurrence 'insert-behind-hooks
> '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
>     (overlay-put occurrence 'modification-hooks
> '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
>
> (from [2]).  If I revert the commit above on the emacs-25 tip (or
> checkout that commit's parent), the hook does run and iedit works as
> expected.

Can you post a reproducible recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", that
shows the problem?

> I apologize for not filing a bug, but I don't have an `emacs -Q' recipe,
> so there must be some other interaction with my config going on, which I
> haven't tracked down...

You can send email to address@hidden regardless.  Please do so,
as that is where bugs should be reported and discussed.

> It's also possible that iedit is incorrectly relying on some broken
> behavior.

Yes, and that's why I asked for a recipe.

> I was hoping someone might have an idea of what's going on here.  If
> not, I'll continue pursuing a smaller repro recipe.

Please do, a recipe is very important for looking into this,
especially since I don't use that package and am not familiar with it.

Thanks.