Re: Please add comments to isearch.el

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Please add comments to isearch.el
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:16:17 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:13:21AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Ping!

> > Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 18:34:16 +0200
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>

> > Would someone "in the know" please add commentary to isearch.el to
> > explain how the various options are passed to the commands defined
> > there and affect or not affect them?

i'm not sure I count as someone in the know, but ....

> > The isearch.el commands are implemented using complex multi-layered
> > system of functions and macros that make it very hard to figure out,
> > just by looking at the code, which options affect what commands and in
> > what ways.  About the only way to find that out is by trying each
> > command, which is very inefficient.  I think it will help make this
> > file much more maintainable if commentary were added there explaining
> > how all of this works.  Thanks in advance.

.... perhaps you could be a little more explicit about which "complex
multi-layered system of functions and macros" you were thinking about in
particular?  Was it the one I was complaining of a few days ago, or were
you thinking of the state stack (that Drew explicitly mentioned), or
something else?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).